(1) China Clipper flying boat left San Francisco 24 years ago, on first transpacific scheduled flight, today Hawaii celebrated the anniversary (2) "Tropical Fashion Holiday" in the Antilles (3) "Zoo Parade. Cubs And Kids Cutting Capers" - zoo penguins, monkeys, seals, lions, polar bear, tigers, Children's Zoo (partial newsreel). favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
"In the Pacific: Exclusive pictures off the California Coast as Mervyn Freeman, Universal Newsreel staff photographer, takes remarkable pictures of sensational diving maneuvers while lashed to the periscope of the Navy's largest submarine, Narwahl, and remarkable interior views of the underwater boat as its crew frantically manipulates the intricate mechanism to maintain an even keel at a time when an error of a few degrees might prove fatal to the man above." (silent partial newsreel)
"Heroes with the Camera In England, Universal Newsreel pays its respects to the heroes who risk their lives to film the war. We see groups of the Navy camera men, Army combat photographers, aerial combat camera men, and several of the ace newsreel men. Each has his steel helmet adjusted and his camera loaded. Their feats of the past will be surpassed by their efforts in the future." (2) Invaders From The Sky "Lauringburg-Maxton Army Air Base, NC: With D-day approaching hourly, an... favoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) Campaign in Burma "In Burma we see Admiral Lord Mountbatten, the late Major General Wingate and the ace air-director, Colonel 'Flip Corkan' watching Colonial troops depart for heavy action. We move out into the muddy combat areas and watch air transport drop bales of rice and munitions. Allied tanks and infantry are slogging through. Further afield we encounter General Stilwell's Chinese armies (armed with Yank equipment), then we watch them advance through the jungle country. The...
"New York NY: The noted motion picture chief, returning from a trip abroad, tells of Europe's confidence in President Roosevelt's ability and the intense interest over there in the NRA and its results in speeding economic recovery." - sound of Laemmle speaking favoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) "Plowing through tempestuous seas the U. S. Fifth Fleet takes positions several hundred miles off Tokyo ... the huge carriers of Task Force 58 emerge from the armada ... and fleets of war planes swoop away, their destination Tokyo. En route, Jap ships are plastered and sunk by air cannon. Tokyo's docks are pounded. Mammouth Imperial air fields are strafed repeatedly. Intercepting Zeros are destroyed. Gun cameras record power dives on sprawling Jap factories. Rockets speed down into an...
Fidel Castro "emerged triumphant after two years guerilla warfare", dictator Batista fled, 26 July movement named after his first attack in 1953; first rebels entered Havana after Batista resigned, at first peaceful, but then parking meters and casinos and wealthy homes attacked (partial newsreel).
(1) aerial view of Chile, destroyed buildings and cities due to earthquake; tidal waves at 500 mph raced across the Pacific, hit Californai coast, hit Japan, 18,000 lives lost (2) "Sentry Satellite 5,000 Pound Missile Spotter In Orbit" - Atlas missile launched at Cape Canaveral of satellite (no pics of satellite, only of launch) favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews ) Topic: newsreel
Six-Day Middle East war debated in UN in New York, Syrian delegate blames Israel, Soviet delegate Federenko, Israel delegate; "swift smashing and total" victory in mideast, prisoners taken, Old Jerusalem captured, drive into Syria, wounded, damaged tanks, "efficient well-trained Israeli army"; UAR commander surrenders in Gaza strip; "Welcome to Bethlehem" sign, tanks enter Old Jerusalem, emotional moment, Dayan, soldiers marching (partial newsreel).
(1) "The Capture of Cherbourg - while the British and Canadians are protecting their flank at Caen, General Bradley's First American Army lays siege to Cherbourg, key port on the embattled French coast. Following thunderous bombardment by artillery and from the air, Doughboys filter into Cherbourg. Snipers are laid low, and thousands of Nazi prisoners are herded into prison fields, where they are fed G.I. iron rations. General von Schlieben and Admiral Hennerke present an abject picture as...
(1) Christmas trees from state of Washington, shoppers in cities, children look at dolls and hobby horses, puppets, model trains, Santa Claus; (2) Gen. "Ike" New Chief of Staff - Ike speaks (3) Gen. Stilwell Gives DSC to Hero's Sister - Matsuta was Japanese-American (4) Archbishop Speaks For War Relief - Spellman speaks for donation of canned goods, 15,000 Catholic parishes in the nation will act as receiving stations (5) Aviation in the News - Mixmaster nonstop flight by Douglas... favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Britain's Prime Minister reviews U.S. and British troops at Iceland on way home from historic meeting - " Iceland: Prime Minister Churchill gets warm welcome from hardy Icelanders as he arrives on 'Prince of Wales.' He reviews U.S. Marines now sharing in defense of strategic island. On way home, his ship passes big convoy, and in London, he is met by Mrs. Churchill and high British officials, as cheering crowds hail his return." sound of Churchill speaking. (partial newsreel)
(1) Churchill in Miami Beach for 6-week vacation, appears at press conference (2) Warsaw Rebuilds - "little by little life returns to this shattered city" (3) End of Rainbow - famous London Red Cross Club to close, Eleanor Roosevelt speaks (4) A Plea For Tolerance, Gov. Statton speaks. (5) Philadelphia mint strikes new Roosevelt dimes, Basil O'Connor in Dimebox, Texas, woman speaks on March of Dimes campaign (6) Animal News - donkey , tiger (7) Golden Gloves boxing.
(1) Over The Atlantic: "Britain's Prime Minister takes the controls of the huge flying boat that brings him home safely after the triumphal tour in America. His arrival in London is a bright moment for his admirers everywhere." scenes of Winston Churchill (some sound) (2) World of Sports - "Wembley, England: 66,000 fans forget the war for a brief moment of sporting thrills as the English 'football' team tackles the Scotsmen and win, 3-0. Mrs. Churchill gets a big hand from the...
"New York, NY: The role of civilians in modern warfare is outlined by Defense Chief Mayor La Guardia. Every man, woman and child will have a job to do in case of attack." sound of La Guardia speaking. (partial newsreel)
(1) "Final settlement in Washington between John L. Lewis and the government brings to an end the crippling mine tie-up. In soft-coal pits throughout the nation, miners go back to work as our supply of coal is at a record low. " scenes of Lewis, coal miners happy (2) Food for the Needy - "New York NY: Cardinal Spellman of New York, and Cardinal Griffin of England, look over shipments of canned foods donated by Catholic charities to help alleviate starvation abroad." (partial... favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
"Washington DC: An impressive description, in his first official screen interview, by Lieut. Commander H. V. Wiley, one of the survivors of the ill-fated Akron, in which he tells in vivid words, how the appalling disaster occurred." (speech sound only of this partial newsreel)
"Backneck, NJ: Remarkable scenes as the naval scientist and Major Chester L. Fordney of the Marine Corps, salvage their balloon and instruments and tell of their exploration into space during which they reached an altitude of 59,000 feet before landing in a swamp, miles from human habitation." sound of Fordney speaking at end. (partial newsreel)
(1) 21 ships of Admiral Halsey's 3rd fleet damaged off Japan, USS Pittsburgh lost 100 feet of bow, but survived; (2) 44th Division Comes Home, on passenger liner, greeted by Marlene Dietrich; (3) Fire Destroys Lake Steamer - ship Harmonic on Lake Ontario; (4) Aviation in the News - 72-ton MARS flying boat christened in Baltimore, the largest flying boat in service in the U.S. (5) Los Angeles - Hughes Aircraft in Culver City building the plywood H4 flying boat, with wing 320 feet long (6) Big...
B-26 used by Cuban pilots; landed in Florida; in Cuba, rocket shells shown; Adlai Stevenson in UN denies any aggression; Guatemala training base; Castro in Cuba (partial newsreel) favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) News In Brief - "Washington: Cuba's new President, Carlos Prio, arrives by plane for a five-day visit. Pres. Truman, who invited him, is on hand to greet him at National Airport as Senor Prio steps off the 'Independence.' - Truman speaks at airport; (2) Holland: "The 'Hangmen of Amersfoort,' Nazi criminals who put scores to death in infamous concentration camp, go on trial before a Dutch tribunal. Once vaunted supermen cringe as justice hold their fate in the balance." (sound... favoritefavoritefavorite ( 3 reviews )
(1) Greeks and girls riot against British soldiers in Cyprus (3) new F-100 jets for U.S. squadrons in Germany (3) F-102A jet tests Falcon missile over New Mexico, "fired unerringly to target by electronics" (4) Venezuela builds largest earthen dam in South America (5 ) snow in Chinook pass cleared for highway 410 (6) Army amphibious truck tested in Monterey CA (7) DeSoto pace car for Indy 500 car race, won by Pat Flaherty (complete newsreel) favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) Partisans rose up 5 days before VE day against Germans, then Russians entered Prague, Benes arrived home (2) Britain's Wall of Fire - planned to protect British coastline in case of invasion (3) La Guardia Reads The Funnies - New York mayor shown reading Sunday comics, telling Dick Tracy story aloud into WNYC radio mic. (complete newsreel)